There’s nothing better to do when stressed, than to get out in nature and get your hands dirty. Gardening exercises the body, calms the spirit and creates something for everyone to enjoy. It’s something we can all do safely with social distancing while celebrating some community life together.
The First Annual Bedford Park Garden Contest is open to everyone who has paid their 2020 membership. If you’re not yet a paying member, or haven’t renewed yet, now’s the time to take care of that – just click on Membership in the menu bar. Our fees are kept deliberately low at $40 for adults, $20 for seniors. Please read on for contest details.
- Enter the contest by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, address and phone number.
- Entries must be received by June 30, 2020.
- Gardens must be planted and maintained by their owners, not professional landscapers.
- We’ll assume front gardens only, unless you tell us otherwise and give us permission to come into your back garden
- Contestants will receive a small, attractive sign to tuck in among your plants so that passersby know who has entered.
- A panel of three judges (one being a certified Master Gardener from the University of Guelph program) will view contestants’ gardens once at the end of June and again at the beginning of September. They may also choose to visit mid-season.
- Gardens may have flowers and/or vegetables, so whether the garden is Ornamental, a Pollinator, or a ‘Victory’ garden, or some combination, it will be judged on its own merits. The judges will be looking for layout and interest throughout the season.
- Winners will be announced after the judges make their final visit to everyone’s gardens in September.
PRIZES. No contest is complete without prizes. Rest assured the top gardens will be rewarded the way gardeners most appreciate. And, of course, there will bragging rights for a whole year! In fact, this year’s winner will remain the winner of the first Bedford Park Garden Contest forever!
We hope you will consider being part of our contest, something that will be as nourishing for your soul as it will be for all of Bedford Park. Remember, just drop us an email at email@example.com to let us know you’re in! We look forward to hearing from you soon.